Day 1: Arrive in Tanzania
You will be picked up at the Kilimanjaro International Airport and transferred to your hotel in Moshi town, you will meet our guide who will brief you on your upcoming trek and do an equipment check to make sure you have all the necessary mountain gear. Gear which is missing can be rented on this day.
Day 2 - Rongai One Camp
- It takes about 3-4 hours walking.
After breakfast, you will be transferred to Marangu National Park Gate in order to complete the necessary registration formalities before transferred to Rongai starting point. The climb start from Nale Moru (6,400 ft) on a small path that wind through fields of maize and potatoes before entering a pine forest. The track then starts to climb consistently but gently through an attractive forest that shelters a variety of wildlife including the Colobus Monkey. These monkeys are black with along "cape" of white hair and a flowing white tail. Then we take in the expansive views over the Kenyan plains as we arrive at our first campsite at Rongai One Campsite (8,500ft).
Day 3 - Rongai Second Cave:
-It takes about 6-7 hours.
After breakfast, the morning walk is a ready ascent up to the Second Cave (11,300) with superb views of Kibo and the eastern icefields on the crater rim. After lunch we leave the main trail and strike out and head southeast across the moorland on a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi. Our campsite is in a sheltered valley which is decorated with Giant Senecios near Kikelelwa Caves (11,800 ft).
Day 4 - Mawenzi Tarn Hut
- It takes about 3-4 hours walking.
A short but steep climb is rewarded by a superb all around views and a tangible sense of wilderness. We leave vegetation behind shortly before reaching the next camp at Mawenzi Tarn Hut (14,200 ft) spectacularly situated in a cirque directly beneath the towering spires of Mawenzi. The afternoon will be free to rest or explore the surrounding area as an aid to acclimatization.
Day 5 - Kibo Hut
- It takes about 5-6 hours walking
We cross the lunar desert of the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach Kibo Hut (15,400 ft) at the bottom of the crater wall. The reminder of the day is spendt resting in preparation for an early morning final ascent.
Day 6 - Summit Day - Horombo Hut
- It takes about 11-15 hours walking.
We start the final and most demanding part of the climb by torchlight around 1:00am. We plod very slowly in the darkness on a switchback trail through loose volcanic scree to reach the crater rim at Gillman's Point (18,600 ft). We rest here for a short time to enjoy the spectacular sunrise over Mawenzi Peak. Those who are still feeling strong can make the three hour round trip to Uhuru Peak (19,345 ft) passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Kibo Hut (15,400 ft) is surprisingly fast and after some refreshments, we continue the descent to Horombo Hut (12,200 ft).
Day 7 - Marangu Park Gate - Back to Moshi / Arusha
After breakfast, a steady descent takes you down through moorland to Mandara Hut (8,900 ft). We then continue descending through lovely lush forest on a good path to the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate at Marangu (6,000 ft) where are transferred to Tulia Boutique Hotel & Spa to overnight on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Day 8 - Departure Transfer
After breakfast our Team can organize a private departure transfer to Arusha Airport or to Kilimanjaro International Airport for your flight back home or flying to Zanzibar Island or going for wildlife Safari.
*Safari and Zanzibar add-ons are available if you wish to continue exploring Tanzania.
Please find below the prices for joining a group trek. In group treks, every trekker pays the same price.
Price for joining a Group
USD 1605 per person
Children between 5 years and 15 years old
Code: KTA08R USD 590 per person
Expatriates/Residents living in Tanzania
Code: KTARES08R USD 410 per person
East African Citizens
Code: KTAEAC08R USD 950 per person
- Park fees, camping fees & rescue fees
- 18% VAT on tour fees & services
- Professional mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Season mountain tents
- Double layered Sleeping Mats
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Wages of professional mountain guides, cooks and porters
- Katadyn filtered water throughout the trek
- 3 meals daily while on the mountain
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation at the Weru Weru River Lodge (or alternative) on Bed & Breakfast Basis
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park
- Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- Supplemental Oxygen & Pulse Oximeter
- 2- way shared airport transfers (for private transfers it costs $20 extra per vehicle)
- 10% discount on meals at selected restaurants in Moshi Town
- Local and International flights
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is extra (US$150 per toilet + toilet tent)
- A doctor for the group
- Tips to mountain crew